On December 1, 2009 my mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and two nieces were in a head-on crash. I didn't know what to think when I got the call...my first reaction was fear. Fear of losing one of my family members. Fear of losing the baby in Amie's belly. Amie was 23 weeks pregnant at the time. She felt her water break at impact, but did not go into labor and the hospital watched her for a couple of days and sent her home. Days later she showed signs of labor. Amie was placed in the hospital on bed rest. Baby Faith was born on December 27th, at 27 weeks. She was in the NICU for months. If Amie would have gone into labor the night of the crash, Faith would not have had a great chance of survival. It is known, at 27 weeks survival rate increases drastically because lungs are almost finished developing. We all believe God held that little girl in the womb till the right time. Amie could have gone into labor that night, there could have been more damage, more injuries, but God had a different plan. People who were at the crash sight told us it was definitly a miracle. They shouldn't have survived a crash like that. There were a few bruises and broken bones, but life was sustained. Amie, my sister-in-law and Kathy, my mom-in-law told me they felt God's presence at the time of impact. It's been a bumpy road for Amie's family. Having a child born prematurely is difficult. Having to leave your child in the care of strangers and leaving them in the hospital for months is probably the hardest thing the Hortons had to go through. They visited Faith daily, but not being able to wrap that baby up in their arms and take her home was heart-breaking. When Faith was released in April, she came home on oxygen and a feeding tube. Now, months later she is off all of her tubes and is feeding well. She is perfect in every way. Kathy, Amie, and the girls are healthy and safe! It's a miracle in my eyes and I've learned a lot from all of this. I will not take my days for granted and I will love with all my might. It's made us all think about life.
It makes you wonder why things happen. It makes you appreciate life a little more. It makes you thankful for the blessings you are given. Yes, it was a difficult time, but it was also a time of growth for everyone. I believe this little girl, Faith will touch people's lives. She is a fighter. She is strong and God's angels are surrounding her. I don't understand why certain things happen in life. Why some people don't survive and some do. But I can tell you this...when I look back on when bad things happened to me or my family, those were times I grew in my relationship with the Lord. Trials helped me grow as a person and strengthen my relationships with others. Life's trials become one's testimony to others...it can become a ministry. I believe God allows terrible things to happen so we can show the world that our God is great and knowing Him brings us peace and joy, even when life is difficult. Praise Him always!
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take." Proverbs 3:5-6
"So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world." 1 Peter 1:7




No comments:
Post a Comment